One of the first projects I did in the new house was decorating the entry. It's kind of an odd entry, facing the street at an angle. I fell in love with a teal geometric print doormat at Target, so I just decorated around it. I started with two metal pieces I found on a 50% off sale at Hobby Lobby. Then I found two teal planters that matched the doormat on clearance in the Target patio and garden section. It took a couple trips to Home Depot and Lowes, but I finally found little plants for them at Lowes. I didn't want anything that would flower, because I have bad allergies and I didn't want bugs (bees) near the front door. Lastly, I've seen a bunch of wreaths on Pinterest and really wanted to make one.
It was incredibly simple. I bought the twig style wreath from Hobby Lobby for $5. Then also bought the fake floral stems and the ribbon from Hobby Lobby. It was one white hydrangea stem and one stem with those little blue flowers for a total of $4. The ribbon was on sale, so it cost $1.50. I picked up the house numbers at Lowes for $1 each. I liked the font of the $2 numbers better, but they were a little big bigger and heavier. I was concerned they wouldn't hold on the wreath as well and that they'd take up too much space. Turns out I was probably right, because getting these light ones to stay in Oklahoma wind was challenge enough.
I used wire cutters to snip the floral heads off the stem, then stuck them through the twigs. I then pumped hot glue in like crazy, filling all the gaps between the stems and the twigs. Those flowers have been really secured. I hot glued the numbers on as well. This is much more challenging though, because they don't lay flat against the uneven twigs, so I suggest hot gluing as much as possible. I've had 2 numbers come off twice, so I may run thread through the little nail holes and stitch the numbers to the twigs if it happens again. Lastly, I measured how much ribbon I'd need to make the wreath hang where I wanted it on the door from my hanger (a $2 buy from Target on clearance after Christmas).
The completed entry:
I do wish the planters had been bigger, but I think they work ok for now. I'm planning to change the decor for fall and Christmas, so this will do for summer. The total cost of the wreath came to $14.50 (and I have ribbon left over) and the total cost of the entire decor was around $50.
I'm always looking for more entry decor, especially wreaths, so feel free to share yours or your favorite in the comments below, on my Flickr group or via Pinterest.